- Check to see if enough urine is in the catheter tubing (10 ml). If not, clamp the tubing for 10-15 minutes.
- Supplies: nonsterile gloves, 10-15 ml syringe with 1″ needle, alcohol or povidone iodine wipe, sterile specimen container
- Cleanse specimen port with alcohol or povidone iodine depending on agency policy
- Insert sterile needle into port and withdraw 10 ml of urine
- Put urine into sterile specimen container, label and package container according to agency policy
- Discard used syringe and needle into sharps containe